Rules of the Lists
- Each fighter, recognizing the possibilities of physical injury to himself or herself in such combat, shall assume unto himself or herself all risk and liability for harm suffered by means of such combat. Other participants shall likewise recognize the risks involved in their presence on or near the field of combat, and shall assume unto themselves the liabilities thereof.
- No person shall participate in Combat-Related Activities (including armored combat, fencing, combat archery, marshalling, scouting, and banner-bearing in combat) outside of formal training sessions unless and until he or she shall have been properly authorized under Society and kingdom procedures.
- All combatants must be presented to, and be acceptable to, the Sovereign or his or her representative.
- All combatants shall adhere to the appropriate Armor and Weapons Standards of the Society, and to any additional standards of the kingdom in which the event takes place. The Sovereign may waive the additional kingdom standards.
- The Sovereign or the Marshallate may bar any weapon or armor from use upon the field of combat. Should a warranted Marshal bar any weapon or armor, an appeal may be made to the Sovereign to allow the weapon or armor.
- Combatants shall behave in a knightly and chivalrous manner, and shall fight according to the appropriate Society and Kingdom Conventions of Combat.
- No one may be required to participate in Combat-Related Activities. Any combatant may, without dishonor or penalty, reject any challenge without specifying a reason. A fight in a tournament lists is not to be considered a challenge, and therefore may not be declined or rejected without forfeiting the bout.
- Fighting with real weapons, whether fast or slow, is strictly forbidden at any Society event. This rule does not consider approved weaponry that meets the Society and kingdom standards for traditional Society combat and/or Society rapier combat, used in the context of mutual sport, to be real weaponry.
- No projectile weapons shall be allowed and no weapons shall be thrown within the Lists of a tournament. The use of approved projectile weapons for melee, war, or Combat Archery shall conform to the appropriate Society and Kingdom Conventions of Combat.
© April 2002, The Society for Creative Anachronism, Incorporated
Members of the Society for Creative Anachronism may copy and distribute this article to other members of the Society so long as copyright credit is given and no changes are made to the text.